Monday, July 27, 2009

How you define your Work Place?

I am a person with lots of ambition. I believed my family won’t disagree with me on this. When I was 7, I dreamed to become a soldier! I dreamt to be a Navy Officer, a Lawyer, a Doctor, and finally ending off as a business man…(wishful thinkings..haha)

I never ever dream of entering the Finance Sector but here I am, stuck in this industry for as long as I started working permanently.

I started out in DHL and ended up in CAAS and finally CAG now.
Walking thru the different workplace, going through the different culture, I noticed that conflict arise every second when there is an interest.
If you happened to find a company with “ZERO” Office Politics or rather one with very little conflict, then you are really lucky, considering spending half your day at work and half of your life working.

I happened to be one of the many lucky people around. I witnessed the meanest person in my ex company, what a hypocrite is, how people turn against each other as soon as their back are facing each other.

Oh I did mention that I was lucky and I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic with the above comments. In fact, I was hit with a cultural shock when I joined my current company, so different I cannot believe that a place a culture as such exists.

A place where there is no “finger pointing” when a matter arise. I was reconfirmed that not within Finance but throughout the organisation. I am not good with words, so I seldom argued or try hard to defend myself and I never had to.
Within a month, I met with many incidents that could somehow affect your work and darken your career advancement, but the people here did not start pointing finger or shifting blames in hope of clearing guilt off their names.
The first thing they do, is to help one another out of this shit and re think solutions together even if it meant working extra hours when it was no fault of theirs.
You will see a director buying dinner for staff that are not under her unit. You will see team mates camping each night to leave at the same timing. Somehow work become fun and stress are spread equally shouldered by everyone.

This is what I call a “Matured Working Environment” and I am glad I joined them and I experience how real professionals work.

So how good is your workplace? How good is the culture?

No comments: