Sunday, April 5, 2009

Jalan Sultan Prawn Noodle

If my memory serves me right, this stall was around even before Mac Donald’s started expanding its branches in Singapore.
It was my uncle who brought me there when I was in my primary school days. Back in the days, while I am still living a life of poverty, spending $2 to $3 on a bowl of prawn noodles was a luxury breakfast for me.

I remembered the days where I stayed over night at my uncle’s place; the most looking forward thing was next morning breakfast. It was either MacDonald’s Big Breakfast or Jalan Sultan Prawn noodle.

This stall originates from Jalan Sultan but shifted over to kallang in the 80’s. I would definitely say that it is the best Prawn Noodle we had in Singapore over the years. Notice that I use “we” instead of “I” because this statement represents my family votes as well.

The Price does change but the taste doesn’t.

It’s located very near Kallang MRT station, actually just in between the MRT and People’s association, a 5 min walking distance. For clearer indication, its at the shop house just beside the bus inter-change.

IMG_1162

IMG_1163

IMG_1165

This Place is small and always crowded but never once will you need to wait for a seat. Somehow somewhere you will get a table.
The food is served in express timing that is comparable to a fast food restaurant.
Fast with quality!

Chilli and chopsticks are on the desk.
IMG_1170

Get yourself a table and order your food at the drink counter. Drinks are self-service but the noodles will be served within minutes.
People come and go fast, maybe because of its location or maybe because of the ambience, you won’t see people taking their own sweet time there.
IMG_1175

While waiting, you may wish to order these side dishes.
IMG_1167

IMG_1182

I prefer the soupy one and with just prawns.
IMG_1176

Oh yah, their pork lark is one of the best too. I know its not very healthy and fattening, but it really goes well with prawn noodles.

Steamy when I stirred it.
IMG_1178

Well if you drive, there are a few parking lots around the shops. If not, you can park at the bus inter-change but remember to enter the interchange at its correct entrance.
The only bad point with this location is that it has no shelter and if it happens to rain, good luck.
IMG_1183

Worth trying, won’t cost you more than $5 if you don’t order that much.

*pictures taken with my ixus 870

No comments: