Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Building my Terranium

I was inspired by my colleagues who build their own terranium during the CSR program. I missed the chance to go as i went for the Hanoi trip.
Yesterday when my sis decided to visit the stetch of florist at Thomson, i took the chance to buy a few pots of plants as well.

Building a Terranium is easy...all you need is to find a container, sphagnum moss or garden soil..which ever you prefer, some stones and plants.

I got most of my stuff from the florist and the containers from Daiso.

Sphagnum Moss cost ard $6 for a big pack...
IMG_4889

Got to soak them in water to soften them...and remember to squeeze them dry before placing in with the plants, you do not wish to have issues of roots rotting.
IMG_4888

I got this container from Daiso, cost $2 and it comes with a cover...
IMG_4890

Plants from Goodwood florist @ $4 a pot, remember to choose the same type of plant( prefer moist soil or dry)
IMG_4896

Charcoals and rocks are used as the base...i got them from Daiso as well. The color pebbles can be found at local fish shops. I didnt really explore Daiso for them as i got quite a fair bit from my fish keeping hobbies...:)
IMG_4897

When you have everything in place, its time to start.
IMG_4891

In 20 mins......


Im done with my Terranium...I chose to use sphagnum moss and go for a "soil-less" setup.
IMG_4907

IMG_4912

IMG_4909

I realised that with the 3 pots of plants, i can actually do up more...so while looking for another empty pot/tank, i found a betta tank.

So this is my 2nd setup!
IMG_4901

IMG_4906

IMG_4900

Ihe most messy part of the process is to remove the plant from the potted soil..after that, everything is smooth and easy...and its up to your creativity to organised them.

A Terranium with a sealed cap, can last 1 month with no watering, and one that is exposed, will only need watering every 2 weeks.

Best part, there is no smell from the soil and maintenance is made easy!

I still have some sphagnum moss and balance of the potted plants...let me know if you need them :)

No comments: