Friday, January 15, 2010

My first and latest Rangefinder!

So much fun moving into film photography...that makes me wanted to try out more new things. Ever since my XA2, i wanted more manual more control over the film cameras to test out how good i am with my skills. Guess what, antiques rangefinder aren't really expensive as i thought it would be. It is not even more than $150 for a mint good CLA'ed(Cleaned) one. I ahve got 1 actually in my cupboard. The all time favourite Rollei 35XF, problem is, it is a little too old and abit faulty.

After reading a few blogs, google a fair bit of informations, i decided to retire my dad's Rollei 35 XF...its really a good camera but don't really feel the worth of repairing it.

And i wanted a rangefinder so much so that i camped at Clubsnap almost every hour especially having an Iphone now. My choices are either a Yashica Electro 35 GSN or a Minolta 7s or 9.
Apparently, Yashica is much harder to find and it is even harder to find one that is in a mint condition and below my budget. So on impulse, i got the Minolta 7s, with casing and stuff. I will talk more about Minolta 7s when i get it from the owner.

It was only awhile after i reserved the 7s before a guy prompt me with his all mint Yashica.
Well, the price met my expectations and so i met him this morning to collect. Haha Valerie was at the same location when we deal and i think she might be thinking i am having such a weird hobby.

My Yashica Electro 35 GSN
IMG_4073

The fell of this camera is so solid!
Holding it, make me realise i won't go get an old SLR, a rangefinder is already having some weight, i heard SLR is super Heavy.
IMG_4072

IMG_4074

The printings of the words carved on the camera. Conditions pretty good for a 29 years old camera
IMG_4077

lens cap off, this lens is a gem..
IMG_4084

Overall, the reason why i wanted this camera so badly and not the rest, is because of its aperture priority mode. A 1981 camera having aperture priority functions is really something impressive and according to what i have gathered, its pretty accurate and sharp!
IMG_4095

With all these rangefinder, will i say bye to my DSLR? NOOOOO of course not! These are 2 different types of camera and seriously, you still need the advance technologies these days to make things easier!

No comments: