Monday, March 1, 2010

Gakkenflex

Gakkenflex is a Japanese DIY twin lens reflex camera(TLR). It is still commonly found these days and the special thing about this camera is that it uses 35mm films(normal negative) unlike most which is a medium format using 120mm film.

Currently in the market, there is only the gakkenflex and the blackbirdfly which uses 35mm and the price between them are so far apart. A blackbirdfly cost $200 where a Gakkenflex can be bought at a retail price of $50. However, Gakkenflex are sold as a free gift together with a magazine that has long stopped producing.

I've gotten 2 sets actually, both are limited and no longer produced in the market. Whatever is left that can be found are the only ones.
If you managed to find a new set, most probably, it has changed a few owners who are speculating the price of this product.

Well, 1 of the set, is still in my cupboard, the other set was sold to Celia when she first started out lomography..

I think she had a hard time with the camera since its fully manual and passes back to me to re-fix some issues with this camera.
I hope her 2 rolls of blanks didn't cause her to give this hobby up!!!

I actually stripe down her gakkenflex to rebuild it...at the same time, giving me the pleasure to cure my itch of opening my own set.
IMG_2785

I think she has gotten most of the parts correct..maybe a few loose area...and it simply completes it.

For a twin lens reflection camera, you focus from top down...
IMG_2790

This is how it looks like before i redecorate it...
IMG_2789

The tools, masking tapes from Popular
IMG_2792

Dang dang, the final product....i think i it is not a flawless job but just by putting up these little masking tapes are a torture to my eyes!!
IMG_2795

Since i am packing up for taiwan, i won't really have the time to shoot a roll of film with it...so hopefully celia can do some justice to this wonderful camera!!
It is definitely one of the best toy camera around!

No comments: