Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Obsession vs Interest

There are times when many people asked me why are you buying and selling, buying and selling the cameras?
The only reason I can think of apart from earning abit from the fluctuating returns(buy low sell high), is that it keeps my passion going.
Gene told me today that if you know you will be selling it after a few weeks or month, why do you want to buy it in the first place? Same as what Yuan and Fion mentioned during lunch, why can’t you just use 1 camera instead of buying a few…
Fionis often remind me that I only got a pair of hand, how to use so many cameras?
But…to me, I always felt that there is a reason for the introduction of many cameras and brands in the market.

U got to try them…if not you won’t know how it felt like, and what it is capable of.
I know many people will tend to stick to just 1 and not planning to try the others..thinking that by doing so, you are being faithful and won’t be tempted to neglect the 1 and only camera. But where is the joy then? The experience? How to know which is better?

Some people bought for its appearances…and mostly these are the short life cameras that after 2 rolls of film, the owner discovered that nice is nice but the picture is either blur or nothing special…and to them this applies to the rest of the camera…

Sigh…only by trying..you will experience, and you will learn…and then your interest will grow.
Well, but you got to learn what is enough and when to stop, before your interest becomes an obsession.

For me, my growing interest in DSLR has come to a stop. Not because I am not interested to use it again, (which you can see I still use it often enough for the baby pics etc) but I discovered that I’ve tried enough and already found myself 2 of the best lenses that that I will ever need for this set of gear. I clearly know my budget and my expectation. The rest is the skills that I will need to brush off.
Frankly speaking, people always say, it’s the person behind the camera that makes the picture different. The only person I know that has this ability is a guy from a forum who taught me how to do HDR. He can make miracles with a simple lousy camera…any camera in his hand produce really nice images. This is call talent which I am far from it and so, I still need to rely on some better equipment to compensate for this…lol

I have experienced by reading or testing enough of those toy cameras..and my conclusion is, the best lomo camera that is in the market, is a LCA or a Olympus XA2 camera. For the same or slightly higher price of a Holga or Diana F, they produced a much better picture in terms of contrast and lightings.
The most valuable for money toy camera is the Ultra wide plastic camera(many different brands) but all produced the same images…the feel of the pictures are really nice.

And if you are interested in something more robust and a little more complicated for the same price of these plastic toy camera, try going into rangefinder…most of them are vintage old school camera that owns a sharp lens and very accurate metering…

I am very surprise that the lenses produced an image that can be in comparison with the lenses that you can find these days.

So while I can still finance this hobby of mine within my capacity, I don’t see the need to stop trying 
And don’t worry, I wont get obsess with it…cos I still know that I must sell them…haha

Meanwhile, this is the series I’m going to share this week…
I took this on a Sat while going to pray pray at the Joo Chiat Guan Ying Temple.
A Dying trade.

F1000006

F1000009

F1000004

The uncle was nice to allow me to take some pictures while he continue with his work.
F1000010

F1000002

F1000005

F1000007

So instead of calling Photography my Obsession or my interest, I rather call it my Passion!

No comments: