Saturday, March 17, 2012

Trying out all the new stuff

So finally on a Saturday morning, i tried my first ever engaged "Model" shoot. With the Large format guys, i feel more relax on my medium format. After all, i just got my cheap 150mm portraiture lens that i need to test on.
The group wasnt as intimidating as DSLR group as basically, we are all shooting on films and it took a few minutes each time for the Large format guys to adjust their camera. So the "Model" didnt really get a nice time posing for them. She has to freeze and stay still for minutes once the focusing is locked on. The good thing is, they only shoot that few shots thats all.
Angah Singh was the guy who guided us on lighting and metering etc.

Posing at the first spot..here's Desmond positioning his camera
IMG_6386

Angah giving instructions to the model...
IMG_6387

Checking how a LF image looks like so she can better hold her position.
IMG_6390

IMG_6392

Desmond who is more experienced, show us how to bounce the lights
IMG_6394

Sorry if the pics looks abit noisy, Im using my point and shoot camera as i lend my dslr to a friend..(I think i cannot live without my DSLR)

Well, it was the experience i wanted but i guess its just not my style. I couldnt take the fake posture of the model and i wanted something more natural..more candid..and also the main reason i shoot street candid...so in a way, its not very flattering to see people pose for shots...(I know fionis likes to do the same pose as well but limited in a way, haha) the killing factor that many dont realize that they dont look natural..

And there was all the bloopers that happen on this trip! I carried around 7kg of equipment and walked the park from 1 end to the other just because i thought MRT was more convenient! Its horrible!!! and the worse thing was that i took my billy bag on this trip and i dont dare to put it on the floor, so literally im carrying the bag throughout!

So after the shoot, Ernest called me to ask if im interested to try out the darkroom printing...and i agreed despite feeling exhausted...The only thing that i wanted to do was to complete the whole process of shooting film to printing film and there was no reason for me to say no!

He provided everything and i just need to bring my negative along.

The paper that is light sensitive.
IMG_6396

The enlarger machine!
IMG_6400

The frames for the negative
IMG_6402

I took a picture of the image falls from the enlarger...no paper was there which explains why i can take a pic of it!
IMG_6406

And the next thing to do was to measure the exposure which in my case was f16, 10seconds..and i let the image project on the paper.
Place the paper into the paper developer for 1.5mins(You will see the image slowly appear on the paper and stop bath it in another tray and finally fix it in the fixer.

IMG_6409

IMG_6411

The first time you see the image appearing on the paper was captivating. I got so hooked on it that i went to develop a 2nd picture. Ernest was very generous to offer me unlimited tries and paper..it was dark when we left the dark room...that is how interesting the process is that you will lose count of the time.

Sadly an enlarger is not easy to find in Singapore and i do not have the space to set up a dark room. Luckily, Losheng set up a dark room in some office space that allows us to use it. Definitely a must go for me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I heard SAFRA has a darkroom with all the necessary equipment. Might want to try there if you have SAFRA membership.